Committee Meeting Minutes 30/10/2018

Dunstable Bogtrotters Committee Meeting 30th October 2018 held at the Bird in Hand

Present – Gill Morris, Alan Plumley, Julian Clark-Lowes, Sheila Blake and Carolyn Cooper

Apologies received from Cliff Shaw

Gill opened the meeting by welcoming everyone as the committee elected at the AGM held 23rd October 2018

Alan read out the Outdoor organiser report and a general discussion followed about forthcoming trips –

On the trip to Bath between Christmas and New Year there are 11 people booked

The hostel is booked for the trip to Dorset in April 2019, some people have chosen to book a stay in a hotel

Julian stated that he will help Alan with trips and he has obtained information concerning Symonds Yat on the Welsh border and Castleacre in Norfolk. He has also provisionally booked Court Hill  for the same weekend in 2019 as the one just attended. John Buckley has provisionally booked Claxby hostel for May 2019. Eila and Julian have liaised about a trip to Krakow and are currently looking into the cost it. There have been other suggestions from members that are also under consideration.

The signatories to sign cheques need updating as the following people were voted in at the AGM

Chairperson –    Gill Morris, Treasurer –  Julian Clark-Lowes, Secretary –  Carolyn Cooper

It was agreed that Julian Clark-Lowes, Leslie Price and Carolyn Cooper be added and Eila Goss and Lesley Grierson-Hill be removed. Regarding access to the bank account Julian will clarify who can access and how.

Changing the constitution was discussed but any changes would need to be endorsed at the next AGM, Alan proposed and Gill seconded that 2a be changed to “organise a regular programme of outdoor activities, hostelling and social events”.

At the end of the financial year the committee will evaluate the state of the club funds and recommend appropriate action at the AGM.

A need to promote the club was discussed and Gill will make enquiries regarding having a stall at the Kite Festival. Alan will also look at advertising, it was agreed that we need to do a coordinated campaign.

A mission statement is needed and committee members will research and bring suggestions to the next meeting.

Awards evening – a date and venue will be decided when opinions have been gauged from members.

The meeting closed at 9.35pm.

Next meeting is 16th January 2019, venue unknown

Agenda 9th May 2011

DUNSTABLE & DISTRICT

WALKING & HOSTELLING GROUP

COMMITTEE  MEETING  –  A G E N D A

DATE: Monday 9th May 2011 8pm

VENUE: Fire Station, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable

(1)        Apologies

(2)        Minutes of previous meeting

(3)        Matters arising

(4)        Chairman’s report

(5)        Treasurer’s report

(6)        Membership report

(7)        Correspondence

(8)        Social Organiser’s report

(9)        Publicity Officer’s report

(10)      Any other Business

(11)      Items for the programme

Date:   14.3.11

Ref:     DDWHG-CMA410.03/2008lows can be signed in under one signature rather than opy. n £8.33 per person per night.

Committee Meeting 14th March 2011

DUNSTABLE & DISTRICT WALKING & HOSTELLING GROUP

COMMITTEE MEETING –  MINUTES

DATE: 14th March 2011

VENUE: Fire Station, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable

PRESENT: Julian Clark-Lowes, Sue Jenkins, Jackie Taylor, Mike Elliott, Paul Ridgeway, Ruth

Harris-Small, Steve Goss, Joanne Robertson, Peter Jackson, Eila Goss

The meeting started at: 8.10 pm

(1)        APOLOGIES

Colin Meacham

(2)        MINUTES

Minutes of previous meeting on 24th January 2011 were approved

(3)        MATTERS ARISING

On the question of recording the numbers attending walks/socials etc Julian said we now have a system on the website whereby you can state the numbers and make comments – enter via dashboard, go to past programme (nb Peter tried this & fell at the 1st hurdle!)

(4)        CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

Julian has been working on getting the new programme organised. He had come up with wording for the constitutional changes about the 3 year rule, which he will e-mail to us and we would vote

on at the next meeting and for it to go to the AGM. He also wanted to tidy up the wording that committee meetings should be every 2 months combined with planning meeting.

(5)        TREASURER’S REPORT

Colin had sent in the balance sheet and his report. Our insurance was due end of February. There was a letter from the insurers (10.3) saying that it has been extended until 21.3 and they let us know this years’ rates by then. We discussed the nature of insurance cover and our health & safety responsibilities as walk leaders.  It was agreed that leaders should carry a 1st aid kit (Boggies to provide), a Mobile phone and some water (& a hip flask ?).

(6)        MEMBERSHIP REPORT

Sue stated that we had 86 paid members, 46 individual and 20 couples (40 members).  If someone is a new walker get their name and e-mail addr and forward to Sue.

(7)        CORRESPONDENCE

Sue had an e-mail from Shelah Sargee saying Peter is not well but when recovered he will

come to some socials. She told us about the Flitvale Wildlife Trust meeting on Mon 21st

March (7.45 £2) at Madden Church Hall about  the Totternhoe Quarry Wildlife Trust.

(8)       SOCIAL ORGANISER’S REPORT

It had been decided that there would be a social event of some sort once a week.

e mentioen the Orbit quiz on 5th arch, Soe is getting togher a team

(9)       PUBLICITY OFFICER’S REPORT

none

(11)      ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Items for the Programme:

We missed out the sponsored walk from the coming programme. Paul will do one on 12th June and will organise it as a full day’s walk in/around hills south/east of Wendover with the funds to go to the Totternhoe Quarry Wildlife Trust.

Sue said that for the social on 4th Apr they would provide simple food with £2 charge to cover costs.

Jo talked about the Murder Mystery event on 9th April.

She is arranging a visit to Crossness Pumping Station on 1st May when they’re having an open day. £5 admission.

She is organizing the London Open House event on 16-17 September and will provisionally  book 12 for Sat night at a hostel in NW London.

Ruth is to co-ordinate a picnic on 19th June (Fathers day) at Tottenrhoe Knolls.

Eila has booked Port Eynon (12 beds) in the Gower for Aug Bank Holiday.

Jo suggested Boggies issue guidelines for new leaders/organisers for walks, social etc.

The meeting closed at 9.30.

Next Committee Meeting: Monday 9th May 2011 at Fire Station Brewers Hill 8pm

Items for the Agenda to be submitted to Secretary

peterdajackson@aol.com 07732 418260

Peter Jackson, Secretary                                                                   Date: 14.3.11

Dunstable & District Walking                                                              Ref:   DDWHMins14.3.11

Hostelling Group

Agenda 14th March 2011

DUNSTABLE & DISTRICT WALKING & HOSTELLING GROUP

COMMITTEE  MEETING  –  A G E N D A

DATE: Monday 14th March

2011

VENUE: Fire Station, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable

(1)        Apologies

(2)        Minutes of previous meeting

(3)        Matters arising

(4)        Chairman’s report

(5)        Treasurer’s report

(6)        Membership report

(7)        Correspondence

(8)        Social Organiser’s report

(9)        Publicity Officer’s report

(10)      Any other Business

The 3-year rule (carried over from the AGM)

(11)      Items for the programme

Date:   24.01.11

Ref:     DDWHG-CMA410.03/2008

Committee Meeting 24th Jan 2011

DUNSTABLE & DISTRICT WALKING & HOSTELLING GROUP

COMMITTEE MEETING –  MINUTES

DATE: 24th January 2011

VENUE: Fire Station, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable

PRESENT: Julian Clark-Lowes, Ruth Harris-Small, Sue Jenkins, Peter Jackson, Eila Goss, Colin

Meacham, Mike Elliott, Jackie Taylor, Steve Goss

The meeting started at: 8.10pm

(1)        APOLOGIES

Paul Ridgeway, Ann Cahill

(2)        MINUTES

Minutes of previous meeting on 13th December 2010 were approved

(3)        MATTERS ARISING

Peter raised the question of recording the numbers attending walks/socials as it’s a bit random. Julian said he would ask the leaders to put the numbers attending on the website.

(4)        CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

Julian thought that the presentation of the new programme looked good and worked well. Thanks to Jackie for producing a monthly programme placed in libraries in Dunstable & HR. She thinks we need to create an image of the organisation i.e. activities and social as well as walking.

(5)        TREASURER’S REPORT

Colin presented the cashflow and will send the accounts to Julian.

(6)        MEMBERSHIP REPORT

Sue stated that on Sep 10, 14 people were on a rollover; next time she’ll put down how many individual and joint/family members. 82 paid members at present. In reality we have a few active but unpaid.

Jackie raised the question of whether couples should be given a discount but the point was made that there are economies of scale with joint members.    A lively discussion followed, but it was decided to leave the current arrangements unchanged


(7)        CORRESPONDENCE

Paul had sent the committee a message about Ashridge and funding for gates in the Cotswolds with his £1,200 raised available for this. We agreed that it’s up to him to decide.

There had been a phone call from the Willow Foundation who had asked us to organise a walk for them to raise awareness of the countryside for 16-40 year olds, Paul and Sue have volunteered to lead a walk for them.

(8)        OUTDOOR ORGANISER’S REPORT

It was agreed not to have this as an item on the agenda in future but for it to be put up on the website.

Dave Tomkins is unable to lead walks for the time being. Don said he’d cover them if able to. There’s the question of the one on 20.3 which needs to end up at Stockgrove Country Park so that people can go on the afternoon walk from there. To ask Paul or John Gabbitass.

Sue said the day on Studham Common was a great success, about 16 boggies attended.

Petra is to be shelved until 2012.

Also Amsterdam has put off.

Eila to organise a trip to the Gower peninsular. On the 2nd May bank holiday weekend.

Sue was up for leading a walk in May.

(9)       SOCIAL ORGANISER’S REPORT

Eila had a call from Ann saying she was too busy now for this role but Jo was happy to help Eila on an occasional basis.

It was suggested that we ask Christine Brock

if she still occasionally wanted to lead a walks in her area.

Peter is to organise a visit to Leighton Buzzard Theatre to see the Black Swan film with Sue and Jackie late March/early April.

He also mentioned the Orbit quiz night on 5 March, Sue is getting a team together.

The dinner at Barnfield College on 10 March is to be been rescheduled (2 March- please confirm?).

It was suggested we have an indoor picnic in April, could be 15th at Chews House.

e mentioen the Orbit quiz on 5th arch, Soe is getting togher a team

(10)      PUBLICITY OFFICER’S REPORT

none

(11)      ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Julian suggested Totternhoe quarry as our Charity of the Year, Sue proposed it and Peter seconded it.  The committee agreed.

Peter suggested we could also consider Groundworks Beds but the question of maintenance for projects was raised. Ruth suggested we could offer volunteers.

Sue mentioned the YHA conference for affiliated groups but nobody had heard anything about it.

She also said that the question of the 3 year rule had been left over from the AGM and it should be brought up as an item on the next agenda.

While on the subject of the constitution Julian suggested considering changing the rules to allow committee meetings to be at 8 week intervals (currently the constitution states they must be at 6 week intervals) .

The meeting closed at 9.30.

Next Committee Meeting: Monday 14th March 2011 at Fire Station Brewers Hill 8pm

Items for the Agenda to be submitted to Secretary

peterdajackson@aol.com 07732 418260

Peter Jackson, Secretary                                                                   Date: 24.1.11

Dunstable & District Walking                                                              Ref:   DDWHMins24.1.11

& Hostelling Group

Committee Agenda 24th January

DUNSTABLE & DISTRICT WALKING & HOSTELLING GROUP

COMMITTEE MEETING  –  A G E N D A

DATE: Monday 24th January 2011

VENUE: Fire Station, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable

(1)        Apologies

(2)        Minutes of previous meeting

(3)        Matters arising

(4)        Chairman’s report

(5)        Treasurer’s report

(6)        Membership report

(7)        Correspondence

(8)        Outdoor Organiser’s report

(9)        Social Organiser’s report

(10)      Publicity Officer’s report

(11)      Any other Business

(12)      Items for the programme

Date:   24.01.11

Ref:     DDWHG-CMA410.03/2008

Committee Meeting 13th December

DUNSTABLE & DISTRICT WALKING & HOSTELLING GROUP

COMMITTEE MEETING –  MINUTES

DATE: 13th December 2011

VENUE: Fire Station, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable

PRESENT: Julian Clark-Lowes, Ruth Harris-Small, Sue Jenkins, Peter Jackson, Eila Goss, Colin

Meacham, Mike Elliott

The meeting started at: 8.10pm

(1)        APOLOGIES

Paul Ridgeway, Jackie Taylor, Steve Goss, Ann Cahill

(2)        MINUTES

Minutes of previous meeting on 1st November 2010 were approved

(3)        MATTERS ARISING

It was thought that the new programme is making good progress.

(4)        CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

Julian has been focusing on the new programme. His intention is to make planning meeting less onerous/difficult in the future. He suggested that at each committee meeting we discuss the planning of the new programme. We all agreed that the new programme was a great improvement. Julian plans to show Peter  how to input on the website.

He has been to the Joint Local Access Forum, the question was raised that the Council needs to be more pro-active in co-ordinating volunteers.

(5)        TREASURER’S REPORT

Colin said that our funds are very healthy, the current balance is just under £1,300, the reminder on subs brought in a fair number of payments.

(6)        MEMBERSHIP REPORT

Sue had been asked to send out a reminder on subs. We have gone up from 59 to 79 but not all renewals as some are new members. Not all previous members have yet rejoined.  Someone has suggested a pay as you go set-up but it was generally agreed that if new people want to give it a try they come as occasional guests and when they become more regular they join as members.

(7)        CORRESPONDENCE

None

(8)        OUTDOOR ORGANISER’S REPORT

It was agreed that the collecting of numbers process was a bit messy and the leader of the walk should send in the number to the secretary who will co-ordinate it.  We will discuss this again at the next committee meeting.  It’s not a very high priority though.

16.10  – 16

17.10  – Eila 17

8.11    – 4

11.11  – 17

24.11  – 4

25.11  – 8

2.12    – 5

8.12    – 4

11.12  – 17

12.12  – 16

(9)       SOCIAL ORGANISER’S REPORT

Eila flagged up Rushi on 15.12 and Wetherspoons on 17.12.

We are not only using the Globe also the Pheasant, Victoria and Star & Garter.

We could go bowling, depends on the interest.

Lumpinis was included in the programme

Barnfield College meal – to ask Jo the cost

Sat 1st Jan walk round HR & Old Red Lion meal t £3.69

(10)      PUBLICITY OFFICER’S REPORT

Ruth to book Chews House for future events.

Eila to put on agenda our ‘social’ event in place of new members meeting around

March.

(11)      ANY OTHER BUSINESS

The comment has been received from one of

our new members that sometimes walk leaders are not particularly pro-active in organising the logistics of cars / numbers and explaining procedures when they first come along on a walk. Perhaps we need to encourage leaders to be a little more proactive when meeting and greeting.

We had intended to discuss the “Charity of the Year” at this meeting, but because a number of committee members could not attend – particularly Paul Ridgeway we decided to defer this discussion until the next meeting.

The meeting closed at 9.30.

Next Committee Meeting: Monday 24th January 2011 at Fire Station Brewers Hill 8pm

Items for the Agenda to be submitted to Secretary

peterdajackson@aol.com 07732 418260

Peter Jackson, Secretary                                                                   Date: 13.12.10

Dunstable & District Walking                                                              Ref:   DDWHMins13.12.10

& Hostelling Group

Committee Agenda 13th December 2010

DUNSTABLE & DISTRICT WALKING & HOSTELLING GROUP

COMMITTEE MEETING  –  A G E N D A

DATE: 13th December 2010

VENUE: Fire Station, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable

(1)        Apologies

(2)        Minutes of previous meeting

(3)        Matters arising

(4)        Chairman’s report

(5)        Treasurer’s report

(6)        Membership report

(7)        Correspondence

(8)        Outdoor Organiser’s report

(9)        Social Organiser’s report

(10)      Publicity Officer’s report

(11)      Any other Business

Date:   13.12.10

Ref:     DDWHG-CMA410.03/2008

Committee Meeting 1st Nov 2011

DUNSTABLE & DISTRICT WALKING & HOSTELLING GROUP

COMMITTEE MEETING –  MINUTES

DATE: 1st November 2010

VENUE: Fire Station, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable

PRESENT: Julian Clark-Lowes (Chairman), Ruth Harris-Small, Sue Jenkins (Membership

Officer), Peter Jackson (Secretary), Eila Goss, Jackie Taylor, Steve Goss, Colin

Meacham, Wendy Hopkins, Malcolm Gladman, Paul Ridgeway, Mike Elliott

The meeting started at: 8.00pm

(1)        APOLOGIES

Elaine Morgan, Roger Pepworth

(2)        MINUTES

Minutes of previous meeting were read and approved

(3)        MATTERS ARISING

Wendy said that the new programme is coming along well. Julian suggested we consider it

as a separate item later in the meeting.

(4)        CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

None

(5)        TREASURER’S REPORT

Colin said that we are back to where we were in September, funds are still coming in.

Sue said that in September before the new year started we had  we had 14 paid members,

1 honorary and 2 paid early. We now have 59 paid up members, less 10 rollovers, 2

honorary and 2 already paid.  She usually writes reminders in January but Colin

suggested we should do that now to get the funds in. Eila to put a reminder in stop press

about fees are due now. Malcolm raised the question of Gift Aid and it was agreed we

would look into it.

(6)        MEMBERSHIP REPORT

As above

(7)        CORRESPONDENCE

None

(8)        OUTDOOR ORGANISER’S REPORT

Julian said that the short walks are going very well.

25.9    Ashrigde walk: ?

26.9    Green Lanes: ?

27.9    Evening walk: 5

30.9    Breakfast + walk: ?

2.10    Edddington: ?

9.10    Swans way: 12

13.10  Fenny Stratford: 7

16.10  Stopsley: 6

21.10  Little Brickhill: 4

24.10  Totternhoe: 12

28.10  Breakfast + walk: 6

30.10  Three churches: 10

31.10  Woburn: 13

(9)        SOCIAL ORGANISER’S REPORT

Eila said we should continue with visits to Wetherspoons, the Globe and other pubs.

She suggested calling a new members’ social/welcome evening, we need to fix a date.

She rang Lumpinis, they do a Thai meal for £12.50

Anne (in her absence) had suggested we have a ‘moveable feast’ in the new year and the back room at the Pheasant.

Eila suggested an Xmas meal at Wetherspoons on 6 Dec

Wendy suggested a pudding evening and a treasure hunt (lot of interest shown in the latter)

Sue & Julian to sort out the e-mailing for stop press

Eila suggested a curry on Xmas day if anyone interested

(10)      PUBLICITY OFFICER’S REPORT

Nothing to report

(11)      ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Malcolm confirmed that he was ready for the quiz night on 12th November. We agreed that any funds raised should go to Totternhoe Quarry wildlife appeal i.e. a one-off as our current charity

Wendy raised the question of trips abroad: Bulgaria, Amsterdam and Petra and their funding. Julian said the Boggies does not subsidise trips abroad.,

Sue said that for the trip to Stow-on-the-Wolde on 12 Feb she has booked 1 night at £18 pp. Need to pay in full by 18.12.

It was agreed that e-mails should go out regarding:

* reminder re quiz night 12 November

* Stow-on-the-Wolde 12 Feb + can bolt on B&B

* reminder re subs

* Xmas meal at Wetherspoons on 6 Dec

* host-Xmas meal at The Plough on Sunday 29 Jan

New Porgramme: Wendy said that the deadline for the new programme is end of November. There has been quite a lot in for January (about 2/3rds) but a few things need firming up.

Julian said we can now quite easily add in new pages so ‘floaters’ on possible forthcoming events can go in with the opportunity to add comments

Bulgaria is confirmed for 10-18 June

Julian suggested we could have a ‘prospective’ programme

The meeting closed at 9.40

Next Committee Meeting: Monday 13th December 2010 at Fire Station Brewers Hill 8pm

Items for Agenda to be submitted to Secretary

peterdajackson@aol.com 07732 418260

Peter Jackson, Secretary                                                                   Date: 12.11.10

Dunstable & District Walking                                                              Ref:   DDWHMins1.11.10

& Hostelling Group